Sunday, November 4, 2012

Aunt Serena: Aunt of a Tar Heel, Feminist, Mom.


A fun part of this blog was getting unexpected responses. My Aunt Serena's response was one of my favorites. I appreciated her reaching out to share her thoughts, especially as someone with experience as a mother and a successful businessperson. I especially like her advice to her daughters. Thanks, Aunt Serena!

  1. What does feminism mean to you?
 
Like I said I don't see myself as a die-hard feminist, but I am pro-woman. Women must choose to raise each other up and become educated and knowledgeable. I believe women should be strong and confident and be able to speak their mind. I always quote to my girls that an educated woman raises their own living conditions as well as the community in which they live.
  1. Do you feel like you have a female role model in college?
    No, I did not have a role model in college. It wasn't until I had been in my professional career for several years that I found a female role moIfdel. Though, I was lucky enough to have a couple of guys that helped lift me up and I'm still very much in contact with them

 3. What do you do to make UNC (or your college or workplace) a more feminist-friendly place?
The company I work with has a great women in mentoring and women's leadership conferences in which the company as a whole as well as individual women can participate. But, you as a woman have to be willing to participate and take the responsibility for moving forward and up and lifting other women up as well.

 If you are iinterested in contributing to this blog, please email your response to these three questions and an image to samn216@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. It's a regional ritual business to decline a gift three times before accepting it. This is good news for me, elicited a kind of promotion for a particular application.

    My web site - miasesorfiscal.com

    ReplyDelete