Tuesday, November 6, 2012

This is what a [UNC] feminist looks like: Hugh

  1. What does feminism mean to you?

Feminism (to me) is the idea that men and women are equal, and that society should recognize this.
 
  1. Do you feel like you have a female role model in college?

I have both male and female role models, although I think 'role models' probably puts it a bit strongly - I imitate specific behaviors, not personality.  My sister, for example, gives fantastic feedback because she's really blunt, and when I need to be blunt, I try to act like her.  Or my girlfriend is way better than I am at being kind and compassionate, so I try to imitate the way she does that.  But I do that with men too.


  1. What do you do to make UNC a more feminist-friendly place?
    I don't treat women differently than men, or at least I try not to.  I don't use sexist language.  I try not to assume things about other people based on gender stereotypes (or other stereotypes), and I try to be aware of the assumptions that I do make by self-analysis.  I also expect my assumptions to be regularly proven wrong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment